I don't know about you, but when I write I HAVE to have music on in the background... It just gets my inspirational juices flowing. I can't seem to write anything that's even decent without my groove tunes, not even school papers. I know, I know, it seems like a problem, but it's not... to me, at least. What I've done is made a bunch of playlists; one for school, and one for writing. The playlist for writing has a bunch of subcategories intertwined... For example, under writing music I have subcategories for genres in writing, such as action, emotional, ect. It really does help, I've found, and I want to share some of my music with you. :) And one big note, I do not always watch the movie from where some of these soundtrack songs are from... I usually find them by searching instrumental stuff... Some of the movies I listen to soundtracks from I do not agree with, watch, or even know. Please keep that in mind as you go along with this list. :)
So, without further ado...
(NOTE: Anything to do with the artist Audiomachine is background writing music worthy. When you listen to them, you can just feel yourself soaring through different emotions. And Hans Zimmer, too. 'Nuff said right there.)
Music for ACTION scenes
1. Hero - Kung Fu Panda OST // This song is more fun than action-y, really. But it's inspiring, all the same.
2. Discombobulate - Hans Zimmer (Sherlock Holmes OST) // Anything from the Sherlock Holmes (the one from the movie with RDJ) soundtrack is AMAZING and totally worth listening to.
3. Wolf Suite pt. 1 - Danny Elfman // This is a sort of ominous and fast paced one.
4. King Arthur - Hans Zimmer // If you're looking for regal and righteousness with all the trumpets and horns, this is the song for you.
5. Septimus - Ilan Eshkeri (Stardust OST) // Reminds me of a horse riding scene for some reason...
6. This is Berk - John Powell (How to Train Your Dragon OST) // Not as fast paced in the beginning, but it gets more exciting after the first part.
7. Heart of Courage - TSFH // This song... no words... okay, maybe one: INSPIRING!!!
8. The Dream Is Collapsing - Hans Zimmer (Inception OST) // Embrace the dark side... the rush of a million heart beats crying for WAR! *battle cry* Ahem, great movie, btw...
9. Revenge of the Fallen - Transformers //
10. Road To Glory - Audiomachine // The name speaks for itself, peeps.
11. Catatonic - Hans Zimmer
12. Smooth Criminal - Dallas String Quartet // The instrumental for this song is great.
Uplifting mood music:
1. Carl Goes Up - Michael Giacchino (Up OST) // It's just a given, you can never not be happy when you're listening to anything from that blessed movie. Unless you re-imagine the scene... in that case, better grab a box of tissues, preferably the ones with the lotion infused into them.
2. Where's Hiccup - John Powell (HTTYD OST) // Beautiful soundtrack... beautiful music.
3. Another Dance - Dario Marianelli (Pride and Prejudice OST) //
4. Secrets - Dallas String Quartet
5. Hey Soul Sister - Dallas String Quartet
6. Peponi - Piano Guys
7. Baba Yetu - Peter Hollens // His version is the best. I like to use this and Peponi when I'm writing scenes that are set in like African plains and stuff like that.
1. Time - Hans Zimmer (Inception OST) // This whole soundtrack is amazing and inspirational for just... anything. Seriously, check it out. (P.S. 2Cellos do an amazing cover of this one)
2. I AM (Creation Overture) // From the album Music From the Story: Old Testament, this song just surges with RIGHTEOUSNESS... and INSPIRATION.
3. Honor - Hans Zimmer // This, just this, it's beautiful! *sobs* It makes me cry from explicit emotion.
4. A Special Bus - Murray Gold // Yes, this is a song from Doctor Who, but it's powerful, nonetheless
5. Redemption - Audiomachine // RIGHTEOUS
6. Winterspell - Thomas Bergersen
7. I Am the Doctor - Murray Gold // Another DW song... I know, I bet you're thinking "ANGIE, ENOUGH!" I'm sorry... I'm so, so sorry...
8. My Strength - District 78
Melancholy/deeply moving music:
1. Chairman's Waltz - John Williams (The Memoirs of a Geisha OST)// A lot of strings in this one. Need I go on?
2. Illumination - Jennifer Thomas // This one is half melancholy half righteous.
3. Fall From Grace - Kerry Muzzey // I would describe this first as happyish, but then it gets darker and a bit more ominous.
4. It's Hard to Say Goodbye - Michael Ortega
5. Red Warrior - Audiomachine
6. Letting Go - Patrick Doyle (Thor OST)
7. Rain - Brian Crain
HEART WRENCHING SONGS:
1. Save a Place For Me - Matthew West
2. Last Night - Skillet
3. Without You - For King and Country
4. Saturn - Sleeping at Last
5. All of Me - Matt Hamitt
6. Fall Alseep - Jars of Clay
That's just a small notch in the compilation of songs from my "writing music library", just a few out of many. You should seriously check some of the songs out, though, if you haven't heard them. They are amazing. Most of them. :P As always, thanks for taking time to read!
Helmut Thielicke quote
"Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."